"For us let it be enough to know ourselves to be in the place where God wants us, and carry on our work, even though it be no more than the work of an ant, infinitesimally small, and with unforeseeable results."
-- Abbé Monchanin

Monday, January 22, 2007

"Digitally Speaking" or "Fingerless George"


I met a fellow the other day with all the fingers missing from his right hand. I was curious about what had happened, so I asked him.

"Well," he said, "I was cutting a board on a table saw and before I knew what happened, I had cut off my little finger."

"I'm sorry to hear that, " I said. "But what happened to the other fingers?"

"Well, you know, I had to keep on cutting that board. I couldn't let my little finger be lost in vain," he replied.

"But couldn't you have moved your other fingers to the side of the board to keep them from being cut off too?" I responded.

"I don't cut and run!" he retorted.

"So, George, how did your costly project turn out?" I asked.

"Well," he said, "I miscalculated on my original measurements and cut the board too thin. I'm left with a mess. But I've got other projects in mind."

I wonder how long the fingers on his left hand will last?

No comments: