"For us let it be enough to know ourselves to be in the place where God wants us, and carry on our work, even though it be no more than the work of an ant, infinitesimally small, and with unforeseeable results."
-- Abbé Monchanin

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Yes, WE Can!


The essential difference between Barak Obama and Hillary Clinton is found in their use of the first person pronoun.


Listen to Hillary and you hear the first person singular used over and over. "I will . . . " "I have . . . " I - I - I.

Listen to Obama and you hear the first person plural pronoun. "We can . . . " "We are able . . . " "Yes we can!" "Si, se puede!"

The second person plural pronoun is also used differently. Clinton says she will do things for you. Obama says he will enable you to do things.

Maybe this is the distinction that should shape how we vote.

When I hear a sermon, I respond more positively to the preacher who speaks of "we" rather than the one who always says "I" and "you." Maybe that is why I prefer Obama.


3 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

That's interesting. Of the two, I've always thought Obama was better, even though they are both right wing.

Tauratinswe said...

Steve, we must be viewing things from opposite sides. I'd never call Obama or Clinton "right wing." They're usually accused of being "left wing." Maybe, it's an American-South African thing. ;-)[Wish I were back in Africa!]

I've got to go out and vote for Obama soon. Must neutralize my boss's vote - he leans toward Clinton. ;-)

Steve Hayes said...

According to "Political Compass" they all fall into the "right-wing authoritarian" quadrant. It's just that some are slightly more so than others.