"For us let it be enough to know ourselves to be in the place where God wants us, and carry on our work, even though it be no more than the work of an ant, infinitesimally small, and with unforeseeable results."
-- Abbé Monchanin

Friday, October 19, 2007

Quote for the Day


"Before I can listen to God in prayer, I must fumble thrugh the prayers of words, of wilful demands, the prayers of childlish 'Gimmes,' of 'Help mes,' of 'I want . . . .' Until I tell God what I want, I have no way of knowing whether or not I truly want it. Unless I ask God for something, I do not know whether or not it is something for which I ought to ask, and I cannot add, 'But if this is not your will for me, then your will is what I want, not mine.' The prayers of words cannot be eliminated. And I must pray them daily, whether I feel like praying or not. Otherwise, when God has something to say to me, I will not know how to lilsten. Until I have worked through self, I will not be enabled to get out of the way."
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Walking On Water


No comments: