"For us let it be enough to know ourselves to be in the place where God wants us, and carry on our work, even though it be no more than the work of an ant, infinitesimally small, and with unforeseeable results."
-- Abbé Monchanin

Friday, March 23, 2007

"Not the Sharpest Blade"


I was in the hardware store the other day and ran into my friend George (see
"Digitally Speaking" or "Fingerless George"). I asked him what he was looking for and he said he needed to find the sharpest blades available for his saw.

"What are you building now?" I asked.

"I'm continuing with that project I was working on the last time we met," he said.

"Have you changed the plans so that things fit this time," I asked?

"Well," he said, "I'm keeping the same dimensions but using oak instead of pine now. I'd tried to save money before by doing things on the cheap. Now I'm going to spend whatever it takes. This time I'm going to run two boards through the saw at a time. That'll get things done quicker."

"Won't it be hard to do with your missing fingers?" I asked.

"Oh, that's why I need a sharper blade," he said.

I'm not sure I understood that reply, but . . . Excuse me. I hear a siren. Let me look out the window. It's an ambulance and it's stopping at George's house.

I wonder how George is going to continue his project with no fingers at all. It won't be a pretty sight!

No comments: